James Williams, Assistant Professor, Retail, Hospitality, & Tourism Management
Javiette Samuel, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Division of Diversity and Engagement
Dorian McCoy, Associate Professor, Educational Leadership and Policy
Thura Mack, Professor, John C. Hodges Library
Dawn Duke, Associate Professor, Modern Foreign Languages & Literatures
Derek Alderman, Professor, Department of Geography
Melanie Dixson, Assistant Professor, John C. Hodges Library
Brook Dennard Rosser, Talent Acquisition and Retention, Knox County Schools
Jioni Lewis, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology
Joann Jeter, Assistant Director, Center for Career Development
Tenea Lowery, Assistant Director, Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life
Ryessia Jones Russell, Assistant Director, Haslam College of Business
Tanisha Jenkins, Director, Office of Multicultural Student Life
Izetta Slade, Senior Director, Human Resources
NaQuiana Moore, Student Success Advisor, Herbert College of Agriculture
Merce Poindexter, Associate Director, Thorton Athletics Student Life Center
Trey Hobson, Library Supervisor II, John C. Hodges Library
Madison Woods, Undergraduate Student, Psychology
Jevon Reeves, Undergraduate Student, Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sports Studies
Stefani Benjamin, Assistant Professor, Retail, Hospitality & Tourism Management
Cory Major, Director, TRIO Student Support Services
Courtney Cunningham, Graduate Student
Shaundra Cunningham, Graduate Student, Geography
Sasha Hines, Graduate Student
Torey Sanders, Undergraduate Student, Geography
Thomas Andrew da Silva Zeigler, Undergraduate Student, Political Science-Laws and Courts Concentration
Jordan Kele Atkins, Undergraduate Student, Statistics
Nadia Powell, Undergraduate Student
Faith Harris, Undergraduate Student, Public Relations
- Mary Lucal, Representing Vice Chancellor for Human Resources ♦
- Gary Skolits, President of Faculty Senate ♦
- Erin Darby, Chair of the Council for Diversity and Interculturalism ♦
- Rachel Chen, Chair of the Commission for Women ♦
- Lettie Flores, Co-Chair of the Commission for LGBT People ♦
- Emoni Degon, Representative of Graduate Student Senate ♦
Note: ♦ denotes Voting Ex-officio members
As a member of the commission, you are expected to fulfill the following responsibilities.
- Serve on one committee OR serve as Chair/Co-Chair of a committee.
- Provide input to the committee.
- Assist with the work on the agenda set forth by committee and/or commission.
- Attend monthly commission meetings.
- Serve as a community liaison for the campus and Knoxville area African American community.
- Bring pertinent issues forth to the Commission.
- Assist with events as necessary (greeting, handing out lunches, set up/take down, etc.)
Committee Chair or Co-Chair
The Commission has four committees: Faculty/Staff/Student Concerns, Bylaws, Awards, and Publicity & Community Outreach. As the chair or co-chair of one of these committees, you are expected to fulfill the following responsibilities.
- Set a goal for the year.
- Communicate with and/or hold meetings with committee to achieve goal set forth.
- Provide updates on committee work to full commission at meetings.
- Provide year-end report on goal.